General

What happens if your dog eats chocolate

What happens if your dog eats chocolate


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

What happens if your dog eats chocolate? Does he vomit or break out in a rash? How about marijuana? What about if your pet nibbles on raw onions? The possibilities are limitless, as are the scary stories you may have heard.

As with anything, the key to knowing what can or cannot hurt your pet is understanding how your pet’s digestive system works. Knowing the basics will help you to avoid causing potentially fatal health issues, as well as help you identify serious concerns when they do occur.

How does your dog’s digestive system work?

To begin, let’s explain how a dog’s digestive system works, and how foods can be harmful.

In short, when a dog eats, the food is broken down by the tongue, which makes it easy for the muscles to chew it. While chewing, the food is broken into smaller bits which are then swallowed. They pass through the dog’s mouth into the oral cavity.

There, the food enters the stomach through the esophagus. The acid in the stomach acts as a digestive solution, turning the food into smaller particles and breaking down the food. Small pockets of food called pouches make their way into the intestines, and the dog begins to feed on these pockets of food.

During digestion, toxins in food break down and are absorbed into the bloodstream. These toxins are filtered out in the liver. The remainder of the toxins are filtered out through the kidneys. These are the key organs in a dog’s detoxification system.

Now, on to the real question: What happens if a dog eats chocolate, eats raw onions, or eats marijuana? Is it possible to poison your pet?

Can your pet be poisoned?

Chocolate

No, not likely. Unless it’s the kind of chocolate with chocolate syrup, a little chocolate probably won’t harm your dog. Chocolate has a high cocoa content which can be toxic to dogs.

Onions

Raw onions are toxic to dogs and they can cause the same type of intestinal damage to dogs as they do to cats. Raw onions are very irritating to dogs and they can cause their sensitive stomachs to get inflamed. They can make them feel sick and cause them to vomit. Also, onions are a source of sulfur, which can cause blisters on dogs’ lips. If you think that your dog might be eating onions, you should give it some space and get to the vet as soon as possible.

Marijuana

There is no question that dogs can get extremely high when they eat marijuana. This is because marijuana produces a similar effect to alcohol on the body. A dog’s pancreas would also be affected as well as his heart.

What happens when a dog is poisoned?

If a dog is poisoned, there are certain signs and symptoms that you should watch for. The most obvious and dangerous symptom is the dog’s inability to breathe. This is because there’s too much of the poisonous substance in the dog’s stomach. If your dog stops breathing, this is when you should seek veterinary help immediately.

Other symptoms include:

Seizures

Vomiting

Diarrhea

Lethargy

Fainting

Fading

If your dog stops breathing, you will need to bring him or her to your veterinarian immediately. There are many different ways that your dog can become poisoned. He or she could have eaten some of the poisonous substance after it was sprayed on a field by a weed-killer. There’s also the chance that a bird could have eaten the weed-killer and then flown away and deposited some on your dog’s body.

If your dog’s symptoms sound like they’ve gotten too far into the progression, seek help from your veterinarian.

What can you do to help your dog if he or she is poisoned?

If your dog is poisoned, there are a few things that you can do to help him or her. For one, you’ll want to make sure that he or she is kept in a clean, well-ventilated place.

If your dog is vomiting and/or having diarrhea, you can put him or her down in the kitchen or elsewhere where there is a lot of clean water and food. You should also try to get some veterinary care in time.

Is your dog allergic to any plants?

The first thing that you will want to do is find out if your dog is allergic to plants or any of the chemicals that have been sprayed on them. This will depend on what you know about the plants and how much of it your dog has ingested. If your dog seems to be reacting to just one plant, talk with your vet about some anti-allergic medication that will help keep your dog’s symptoms under control.

Is your dog diabetic?

If your dog is diabetic, you will want to keep her on a low-carb diet. That way, she will not have the ability to get the sugar that she needs from the plants that she is allergic to. It can be a good idea to ask your vet about the best type of insulin that your dog needs.

Are your dog’s immune system up to par?

Depending on what’s going on in your dog’s immune system, you may need to have her checked for parasites, or you may want to ask your vet about any immunizations that your dog needs. You may need to get her some injections so that her immune system is up to par. If this is the case, you may also want to ask your vet about the best immunization schedule that will work the best for your dog.


Watch the video: Προσοχή! Ο σκύλος σας μπορεί να δηλητηριαστεί αν φάει σοκολάτα! (November 2022).