General

Is honeysuckle poisonous to dogs

Is honeysuckle poisonous to dogs

Is honeysuckle poisonous to dogs?

Honeysuckle is a popular perennial flower with attractive glossy leaves and sweet, fragrant white or pink flowers, but for dogs this is actually poisonous.

Honeysuckle plants are toxic to dogs and other animals because of their high level of oxalic acid, which can cause kidney failure in puppies, as well as a buildup of calcium in the body.

However, in some areas where the plant is naturally growing, dogs will eat the buds as a natural remedy to their intestinal troubles. They are a low-calorie treat that is great for an upset tummy.

Should I worry about our dog eating honeyysuckle?

The honeyysuckle can cause vomiting, excessive drooling and loss of appetite for up to a week after an accidental ingestion. The condition can also cause an upset stomach, and the resulting loss of potassium and calcium can lead to problems with the heart and kidneys.

For puppies, the honeyysuckle is especially dangerous because it can have a higher level of oxalic acid than the common garden rose bush. It is also easy to confuse the plant with the common honeysuckle, which is also toxic to dogs.

Some dogs even develop kidney problems when they accidentally eat the seeds of the plant. This means that not only should you keep it away from your dog, but that you also need to tell any children in the house that may be tempted to pick the plant.

The dangers of honeyysuckle

Oxalic acid is the compound that gives the leaves and flowers their sweet smell and taste. The honeyysuckle has been shown to contain the highest levels of oxalic acid in the common garden flowers and bushes.

If your dog ingests this toxic plant, it may have a build-up of oxalic acid in the body, which can lead to serious health issues. Kidney failure can also occur if the toxicity goes unchecked.

However, with the right care, oxalic acid can be easily removed.

Oxalic acid toxicity symptoms

Some of the earliest and most common symptoms of oxalic acid toxicity in dogs are:

Excessive vomiting

Excessive drooling

Dehydration

Seizures

Diarrhoea

How to help your dog recover

You can do several things to help your dog during and after the recovery phase.

If your dog becomes unwell, call your vet right away. Although it is possible to take oxalic acid toxicity control measures without the help of your vet, you will need to talk to them to see if any medicines or procedures would help your dog.

Once your vet has given your dog some fluids to drink, have them call your vet’s office to request a sample of your dog’s urine to test. This can give your vet a clearer picture of your dog’s health.

When your vet is able to get some samples, they will then know the best type of treatment to give your dog.

The symptoms of oxalic acid poisoning tend to get worse over time. If your dog is having frequent seizures and is unable to eat or drink, contact your vet. Your vet may ask you to help your dog by keeping them warm and by providing them with oxygen as needed.

If you suspect your dog has ingested this plant, call your vet right away.

The best time to call your vet is immediately after you see your dog eat the plant. However, keep in mind that they may have already called an ambulance or been admitted to the hospital by the time you see them, so you may have to call them again.

You can also call your local poison centre to speak with a trained member of staff who can provide you with information on how to help your dog.

How to remove oxalic acid from the body

While the symptoms of oxalic acid poisoning are quite serious, treatment may be successful, depending on how long your dog was exposed to the plant and what kind of treatment they are receiving. Your vet may advise you on the best course of treatment for your dog.

If your dog was exposed to oxalic acid for an extended period of time, your vet may advise that you give them an intravenous fluid for a few days until their kidneys return to normal. If your dog has ingested a large amount of oxalic acid, they may be put on a saline drip until they are healthy again.

Your vet will know if your dog requires further treatment, but they may be able to help them get back to their normal, healthy state.

If your dog has ingested this plant, be sure to contact your vet to find out how your dog should be treated.

What to do next

There are several treatments that may be helpful to your dog after a dog poisoning, but these may require an expensive trip to the vet. Your vet may be able to offer more advice about your dog’s treatment and recovery.

Your vet will need to do blood tests and a urinalysis to see if they can tell if your dog is recovering. The only way to know for sure is if they are back to normal. They may also need to run tests to see how your dog’s body processes and digests food and water.

Once your dog has fully recovered from oxalic acid poisoning, you should still continue to be extra careful around plants as oxalic acid is often present in flowers and vegetables, so make sure to wash any fruits or vegetables you are going to eat before you eat them.

Be wary of the plant and see your vet if you notice anything strange in the behaviour of your dog.

Your dog’s recovery depends on the treatment they are receiving and the time it takes. Some dogs recover quickly and are back to their normal selves within a day or two, but others may have a difficult recovery that may last for weeks.

It may take a while to see your dog’s full recovery. Just be patient and see if your dog begins to recover from its poisoning.

Do you have any experience with dogs that were poisoned? Have you experienced the same recovery as your dog? Please share your experience in the comments below.

A new study has concluded that domesticated dogs are not that intelligent, as previously thought.

The study from the University of Edinburgh concluded that dogs have a high probability of being more intelligent than a wolf. The study was published in the Scientific Reports journal, which is published by Nature Publishing Group.

The study was led by evolutionary biologists from the University of Edinburgh and examined two sets of data: on one hand, dogs and wolves were observed and tested for food-finding abilities. On the other hand, the animals’ genes were tested to examine their DNA.

The study was a big study that examined the DNA of 495 wolves, 1,100 domestic dogs and 20 wild dogs. The results indicated that the three species were evolutionarily very similar, especially for behavior, where they have many genes in common.

They also looked at the DNA sequence for some dogs and wolves that were not chosen in the food-